Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Hospital....For Dolls

It all started off as a quick errand with my nieces, sister and mom. Madison and Bailey have some dolls that they adore, but sadly, their hair has become frizzy and sparse. My sister Leesa found the one and only doll hospital left here in the valley, and we all went together to drop the dolls off to be fixed. Boy, were we a little surprised when we saw the "hospital!" It was on state street, and about 28th south. It was covered in vines, and looked like no one had lived there in years. As we walked up to the porch, the windows were covered in dust and dirt, and inside it was dark. Soon, someone came and opened the door for us, and we cautiously entered. To tell you the truth, it was fascinating to see the piles and piles of dolls filling every corner of the house. There were shelves filled with barbies and babies and wax dolls and glass dolls... I'm not kidding, I've never seen so many dolls! The really interesting thing is that my mom remembered bringing her very own dolls to this hospital when she was a little girl. (You know, everyone fixed their dolls back then!) Madison and Bailey were scared to leave their favorite toys there at the beginning, but after choosing some very pretty wigs and making friends with the doggies that scared us, they were okay. I'm excited to see how the dolls look in their new hair, and I'm really glad I experienced the doll hospital...even though it was pretty creepy!


4 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh how I've been waiting for this post! I had no idea how creepy this hospital was until mom told me Leesa couldn't go pick up the dolls unless someone went with her--I don't think I'd be going there alone either!

LeeAnn Barker said...

That dolly hospital has around since the 1940s (so have I), and it is where Sweet Adeline took our dollies to be repaired, back in the day. Thanks for triggering a good memory, Cass!

"I'm a little doll who was dropped & broken, falling off my mommy's knee...I'm a little doll who has just been mended, so won't you tell me, pleeeeez..."

leesa said...

Cass, we got the dolls back. Jason so kindly went and got them on his way home the other day. It was night and I was really scared for him. When he brought them in I was so exited to see how they looked. Bailey's looked really good. The hair is nice and seemed put on properly. Maddies was still wet with glue, like he'd just put it on before Jason got there. They also really stunk, like smoke and glue. Today while Baliey was playing with her doll, her hair popped right off, revealing her fuzzy shaved head, she was sad. Maddie's doll has dried, but it has clumps of glue in it. It's a good thing that we did not pay him, Jason only had credit cards and they don't have a card scanner there. He trusted Jason enough to give him the dolls and let him mail the check. Now I think it's cuz he knew it was a crappy job. Oh well, what do you do??

Bethany said...

I love that doll hospital! I remember going there when I was little. My mom had a very precious doll that she had since she was a child that got a new body and a new wig there and I was so shocked that they could fix her like that!