Sunday, November 9, 2008

Another project?

As you all know, our townhouse is getting closer and closer to being done, and we are so excited! We took a peek at it yesterday (sorry, I forgot my camera) and we have drywall and mud...The next step is texture for the walls and ceiling, and then paint! Our tentative date to close is on December 18th, and we think it will be right on time with the way they are working right now.


I've been really excited to decorate my new house. When we lived in our condo, I had it decorated just the way I wanted it. It was really small, so it didn't take a lot of work. Our townhouse will be a little bit bigger that our condo, and so while we've been waiting for it to be finished I've been finding projects to keep me busy and to help fill our new home. I think Jared is a little tired of it... Here are some things we've done. We inherited a nice old dining table from a good friend of ours, and I decided that it needed a little "sprucing." Little did I know that to prepare and paint a dining room table and four chairs entails a lot of work (and sore backs and thumbs)! There's sanding, priming, painting, painting, painting, and sealing. It was a few weeks worth of Saturday afternoons. I also had a great idea for a headboard in our bedroom (thanks to walking through a few model homes). We found some great looking closet doors at the DI, and we painted them so they look antique and crackled. We'll put them all together at the top of our bed on the wall. Some people say weird, but I say cool! There have been other projects, one involving an old window, and others involving frames and fabric. Jared's been a great sport, but he won't let me start on my last and most difficult project. Tell me if I'm crazy to want to try it. I want to buy an old chair at the DI or Savers... a sofa chair type chair, and reupholster it. Comfy sofa chairs are so expensive, but at the thrift store they are only 15 bucks! I could recover the chair with some discount fabric and it would be like a new chair, right? Have any of you out there tried something like this? Do you have any tips or advice? Can you help me convince my sweet husband that this would be a fun project? After all, we've had success with all of our other ones so far...


Here is a picture from one of our fun-filled Saturdays!

8 comments:

leesa said...

You are such a terrific arist Cass, I'm sure that what ever you find will look beauuuutiful in the end. And then when you are done decorating your place, you can come and do mine! Just kidding :} I can't wait to see your place all done!

Lindsey said...

I say go for it!

Shannon said...

Yes you should definitely do it! I will be willing to help!

Jared, let her do it.
(very convincing I know.)

This Place is a Disaster! said...

I recovered our couch 2 years ago. I didn't make a slip cover, I made a very tight fitting fabroc overlay and you can't tell its a cover. I think it looks great and you should see it. Ithink it is not as difficult as it sounds but Ilove to sew. I have a tom of fabric left over, I'm saving it for when i find a good chair to match. I got a great deal on fabric at the Home Fabric store just east of the Quilted Bear. heck the back - it's where all the clearance stuff is, and they have racks and racks of fabrics. Igt ours for 3.oo a yard. You should check it!

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

Mrs. Ambitious!!! Wow, that is a lot of projects, but kudos to YOU!!! You've always had great style so I'm sure your place will look so cute!!! We really need to get together to catch up! Here is my e-mail address so that we can exchange phone numbers, best_brittany@hotmail.com.

Brandy J. said...

Recovering a chair seems a little overwhelming to me, but I'd kind of like you to do it so you can report back. :)

Cass, I tagged you on our blog. When you get a second you should check it out.

Erika said...

Your house will look beautiful! :)

Rob and Tammy said...

I agree with Brandy - I think you need to do a chair so you can show us how to do one!